Re: Additional WebDAV Requirements?

From: Bruce Cragun <BCragun.ORM2-1.OREM2@gw.novell.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 08:41:37 -0600
To: <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>, <francis@netscape.com>
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
I'm not sure I understand why this would be a big mistake.  Are you envisioning having a "set" of ACLs that are, in essense, registered, and each resource that has an ACL simply points to an ACL resource?  Or do you consider ACLs to be potentially large and therefore you don't want to use the storage space to store an ACL individually for each document?  Or is it simply a design principle that an ACL should not be a property?

>>> "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> 07/31 8:02 PM >>>
ACLs are resources, not properties.  You might have a property on a
resource that indicates which ACL is applicable, but specifying each
ACL as a property would be a big mistake.

....Roy