Re: Additional WebDAV Requirements?

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:45:27 -0700
To: "Jeffrey E. Sussna" <jes@kuantech.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Jeffrey E. Sussna wrote:

> 1. I think we can learn much from the LDAP access control approach (WebDAV
> ACL's already sound quite similar). For example, the spec leaves open the
> question of how ACE's are actually represented and accessed. If they are
> simply special properties, they can be accessed in the same way as other
> properties. Also if, as in LDAP, an ACE can apply to a property, then the
> question of controlling access to ACE's themselves is resolved.

I think these two approaches are mutually exclusive.  Until/unless DAV defines
some way to reference a property by URI, a property cannot itself have
properties.  So, if ACLs are properties, properties can't have ACLs.

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | You're just jealous because the voices  |
|francis@netscape.com      |  only talk to me.                       |
New area code for work number: 650