Re: Best use of variants

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:32:57 -0700
To: "'webdav'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Babich, Alan wrote:

> I don't think that a hand translated version of a document
> should normally be stored as a variant. I think that in
> general the best thing to do is to store hand translated
> versions as separate documents:

The current versioning & variants proposal stores every
version/variant as a separate resource, meaning that each one can
have totally separate properties.  Doesn't that solve your
problem?

Hand translated variants can be extremely important; without them
(or some ad hoc mechanism to do the same thing), there's no way
to publish a document in multiple languages without requiring the
user to pick one manually.

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      |How many roads must a man walk down      |
|francis@netscape.com      | before he admits he is LOST?            |
New area code for work number: 650