Baby steps

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:51:47 -0400
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Cc: <alexhop@microsoft.com>, <ejw@ics.uci.edu>, <francis@netscape.com>, <ckaler@microsoft.com>, <bradley_sergeant@intersolv.com>, <ABabich@felix.filenet.com>, <Cragun.Bruce@gw.novell.com>, <dgd@cs.bu.edu>, <sridhar.iyengar@mv.unisys.com>
Forgive the newcomer, but everything I read seems to either start in the middle
or bottom.  Can somebody help me out with the beginning?

Suppose I am in my favorite Integrated Development Environment (IDE) and want
to checkout the latest version of x.c.  Nothing fancy, no branches.

Everything I have read so far seems to start at "once you have found the
Vportal, here are the set of operations you can perform"

For example, In the June 9th version of draft-whitehead-webdav-versioning-00,
there is a datasheet.html which has a portal at /products/chips/6502 which is
associated with vgraph:4A7F-52DE-5DFA29FE-12A0 and is set up to return
/vcache/68432.html.  I believe I can follow the chain from portal to vgraph to
cache, but can't quite make the leap from the conceptual resource to the portal.