RE: Property Life/Death

It is up to the server to decide what to do when it is asked to take a live
property and copy it dead. It could do things like put in an element which
says "This is a dead property" or change it into a string or copy its
current value or whatever it feels like. This is a property by property
issue.

As for your discomfort regarding a live property getting copied dead, you
are on the money. For example, as you pointed out, DAV defines a bunch of
properties as "live." However if you don't do an OPTIONS call and get back a
DAV: header with a "1" in it then you can't assume any of the DAV:*
properties are alive. Discovery is REQUIRED before assuming a property is
alive. Just having its name on the server is clearly not enough.

A reasonable extension to PROPFIND would be an argument which stated "Only
retrieve this value if it is alive." However I expect something like that to
come out of the schema definition/discovery work.

		Yaron