RE: must property names be empty and attributeless?

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 19:48:46 -0700
To: John Tigue <jtigue@datachannel.com>, Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
> <Jim>
> <snip />
> > At 11:15 AM 7/15/98 PDT, John Tigue wrote:
> > >...the DTD could be modified to make it impossible to
> > >have attributes associated with the properties being requested
> >
> > I take it that you think the answer then is "yes", that this
> > restriction is
> > intended but was just never stated?
> </Jim>
>
> <John>
> I do believe it was intended but that's for others to say.
> </John>

Since the spec. is silent on the issue of attributes, and certainly does not
specify any standard way to interpret attributes (e.g., to perform content
negotiation), any such use of attributes would certainly be non-standard.
However, I don't see where there is language that would make it illegal
either.

My recommendation to implementers is that they write XML parsers which can
accept attributes in any XML element they encounter in a DAV protocol
stream, but since the WebDAV specification does not give them any meaning,
they can be safely ignored in all DAV: schema elements.  For non-DAV schema
elements, especially for XML property values, any attributes encountered
should certainly be preserved, as they may affect the meaning of the XML
element.

- Jim