Re: Get on a reference

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 19:02:18 -0700
To: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
>Look at it this way.  With most current servers you can create a
>redirecting resource by writings a suitable config file somewhere.  So this
>capability already exists in the Web. The only difference is that now it
>will be possible to create such redirecting resources from the client side
>alone, by invoking HTTP methods, without creating or writing any
>server-side config file.

And, as I said last week, with most current servers you can create
a non-redirecting referential member of a namespace by writing in
those same config files.  Forcing one or the other within the protocol
is not an acceptable decision, since that will mean we will just have
to add a non-standard extension to WebDAV to handle that case.
The server is fully capable of doing either behavior, and there exist
many situations in which pretending to be a normal resource *is* the
desired behavior (keep in mind that the resource owner knows the
properties of its own namespace and can decide for themself).
So the right thing for the protocol to define is a settable option.

Yes, I am well aware of the caching and relative URI implications.
There is no point in denying people rope just on the offchance
they might hang themselves.

....Roy