RE: internet drafts for next IETF?

On Monday, March 02, 1998 2:02 PM, Jim Davis [SMTP:jdavis@parc.xerox.com]
wrote:
> Is there any advantage to the project (WebDAV or DASL) in having an
> Internet Draft submitted soon (i.e. is there some cutoff date with
regards
> to the upcoming IETF such that IDs submitted before it will have either
> some extra status at that meeting or will serve as evidence of useful
> amounts of activity?).

The deadline for submission of Internet Drafts before the upcoming IETF
meeting is Friday, March 13, at 5PM US Eastern time.  Since drafts
submitted on the deadline before the Washington meeting were actually
showing up in the I-D directory *during* the Washington IETF, I recommend
submitting I-Ds a week in advance of the deadline.

An I-D submitted right before a meeting has no more special status than one
submitted at any other time, but, given its proximity to the meeting, it
has the possibility of being more relevant and in-synch with current
concerns and discussion.

The conventional wisdom for submitting I-Ds before the meeting is so that
people coming to the meeting will have enough time to read the relevant
I-Ds before the meeting.

Certainly, regular submission of I-Ds indicates that activity is taking
place on a particular topic.  However, as far as the IETF is concerned, the
major progress indicators are documents submitted to the IESG.  There's
very much a "move it or lose it" attitude in the IETF.

> I seems to me that it's possible to write some drafts, though they might
be
> sketchy.  Is 'sketchy' okay?   I don't in the least claim that I would be
> the rightful author, I just wanted to name them.
>
> * requirements for DASL
> * requirements for external members/ordered collections
> * DASL extensions

Anyone may submit an I-D.  While the Chair of a working group does have
discretion over which I-Ds are considered official work items of a
particular working group, it is certainly possible for someone to develop a
draft and submit it as an Internet-Draft at any time (except for the
blackout period before an IETF meeting).

The "sketchyness" of I-Ds varies.  A draft must be complete enough to
convey your ideas, and must be sufficiently well-thought to avoid
embarassment.

As for your enumeration of drafts, I will leave the discussion of
DASL-related drafts to the Distributed Authoring Searching and Locating
mailing list, www-webdav-dasl@w3.org.  As for the requirements for external
members/ordered collections, I have encouraged Judith Slein to submit such
a draft before the I-D deadline so we can discuss external members/ordered
collections at the LA IETF.  I certainly think such a draft should be a
work item of this working group. Since there will be relatively few open
issues in the Distributed Authoring specification during the LA IETF, I
anticipate the discussion at the LA IETF will mostly focus on ordered
collections requirements issues.

- Jim

- Jim