RE: "Lost Updates" still persist...

I think an implementation note would be appropriate. I would suggest adding
a new section in the section on PUT entitled "PUTs, GETs, E-Tags and Locks".
The text would read as follows:

It is an error for a client to assume that the state of a resource will not
change between the time a GET and then a PUT are executed.  When that
assumption is made it is possible for the "lost update" problem, defined
previously, to occur.  The lock mechanism defined in this document provides
tools to control what sort of state changes are allowed to happen between
the execution of methods.  However not all servers support locks and not all
clients are capable of asking for a lock.  In the case where a client does
not have the appropriate lock available and wishes to ensure that they will
not suffer from the lost update problem then the client should use the
if-match header on their PUT request.

		Yaron