RE: v6: 12.9 lockdiscovery

From: Dylan Barrell <dbarrell@opentext.ch>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 01:36:57 +0100
To: "'Yaron Goland'" <yarong@microsoft.com>, "'Jim Davis'" <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, "w3c-dist-auth@w3.org" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Dylan, we provide a very specific example for why we believe that lock
tokens are absolutely required.

[Dylan Barrell]  As I said, the example is weak at best. If a user takes out a lock THEY KNOW THEY HAVE TAKEN IT OUT. If they then perform PUT with another application to that locked resource THEY KNOW WHY. The advantages of requiring  lock token just so that the application can then warn them that a lock exists on the resource (when it could do this without requiring the lock token) IS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. My belief is that a standard should have the minimum requirements to allow disparate systems to interoperate effectively. Lock tokens are not required in order to fulfill this requirement.