RE: Comments on 06 spec

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:42:23 PST
To: Fisher Mark <FisherM@exch1.indy.tce.com>
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
At 09:36 AM 1/26/98 PST, Fisher Mark wrote:

>Maybe I am assuming too much, but if I was a user of a commercial-grade
>WebDAV system, I would just assume that appropriate locks were taken out
>automatically on the subordinate objects, so that Joe could not access P
>or its subordinate objects once Jane had set the deletion in motion.

This assumption is false.  The spec says explicitly that GET is unaffected
by locks.

Perhaps this indicates the need for a sentence or two in the spec to
explicitly call out this possibility for integrity violations.  I
acknowledge in advance the need for a balance between tutorial/cautionary
material and straightforward exposition, but if this is a plausible
misunderstanding then perhaps it is good to try a little harder to fend it
off.