RE: A summary to my last question.

Some comments:

On Saturday, January 24, 1998 12:52 AM, Wang HanMin [SMTP:whm@sic.ml.org]
wrote:
> Hi,
>    Thanks very much for all the kind replys to my last
> question,including Markus Fleck,Marc Eaddy, Jim Whitehead,Carl-Uni
> Manros,Surendra Reddy,and etc.
>    Below is some thought of myself.
> 1.How to notify the users?
>     I think that using email to notify the users or polling the web
> server are not the best way to let the users be notified immediately.I
> hope that the extended http protocol can add a command like
> 'push'.since in http/1.1 the connect can be permanent now,It maybe
> also possible for the server to push the data without the request of
> the client.

I agree -- it does appear that a server-to-client protocol for transmission
of notification events would be a nice complementary protocol for WebDAV.

>    I could not find enough material about how the channel works,but I
> think that maybe the client request the server at a periodic time.It
> possibly cannot be used at a realtime cscw enviroment either.

My understanding of most existing Push technologies is that they involve a
list of resources (the set of resources is called a "channel"), which a
client retrieves at periodic intervals.

> 2.Which tool is the best?Using HTML under web,Java,or DCOM+ActiveX?

I think this question requires some further refinement -- you're asking a
question similar to: "Which is better, an internal combustion engine, or a
snowblower?"  Well, the answer depends on what you want to do with the
tool.  Your question asks which tool is best, without also asking, "for
which usage context."

>   Does anyone have thought about using DCOM to develop CSCW?

Although this does give a use context, the question is still too broad. The
CSCW (Computer Supported Cooperative Work) label encompasses email,
collaborative authoring, video conferencing, configuration management,
workflow, air traffic control, and systems which integrate several of these
capabilities.  DCOM might be a good infrastructure technology in some
domains, but not others.

- Jim