Re: v6: external members

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 18:49:24 -0800
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
It seems to me that the use of PROPFIND to provide a namespace listing
is merely providing a window to the namespace allocation functionality
of the server.  It has become so stripped down as to no longer correspond
to what is normally referred to as a collection (at least within other
Hypertext systems).

Perhaps it would be easier to refer to it as a namespace, restrict it
to the properties of allocating a namespace, and reserve the term collection
for ordered sets that may be independent of the namespace hierarchy?
We could then manipulate the namespace using namespace-restricted
functionality, and manipulate each collection using the normal content
modification methods upon a media type that describes an ordered collection.

With that sense, external members ==> server-side redirects.

....Roy