WebDAV Introductory Materials

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:56:19 -0800
To: "'Carl-Uno Manros'" <cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com>, "w3c-dist-auth@w3.org" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Carl-Uno Manros writes:

> I think the contribution illustrates how difficult it is for newcomers to
> understand the drafts that are being written in the IETF in general and
> perhaps the WEBDAV drafts in particular.
>

> Carl-Uno

I agree -- there is a definite tension, especially in writing
specifications, between creating a concise specification, and giving a lot
of introductory material.  While it might seem obvious to just keep adding
a lot of introductory, problem framing material to a specification, this
has the drawback that it increases the size of the specification.
 Currently, the WebDAV spec. is at 82 pages (text version), including 3
pages of change information, 4 pages of table of contents, 9 pages of
introduction, 15.5 pages of examples, 2 pages of required text (copyright
and IP, I-D header), 0.5 page of acknowledgements, and 1 page of author's
addresses, leaving only 49 pages of "pure" specification. This indicates to
me there is a non-trivial amount of "newcomer" information in the spec.

There is also an introductory article on WebDAV available via the WebDAV
home page:

WebDAV WG Home Page:
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/

Brief WebDAV Introduction:
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/intro.html

WebDAV Introduction Article:
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/intro/webdav_intro.pdf
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/intro/webdav_intro.ps

While the protocol would certainly benefit from a "Introduction to the
WebDAV Protocol" document, and from a WebDAV "Frequently Asked Questions"
document, I would claim we've gone farther than most working groups to
bridge the gap between newcomers and oldtimers.  Still, if there are any
volunteers to write these documents, please send me an email.

- Jim