Re: Comments on WEBDAV-06 Draft

Here are my comments on GETCOL method. My comments are marked with [SKREDDY]

[Jim ]
... The mechanism used to retrieve a listing of the members of a collection
is
... the PROPFIND method.  This, combined with the MUST-level requirement
that
... all DAV-compliant resources provide a resourcetype property (indicating
... whether the resource is, or is not a collection) allows a DAV client to
... discover the hierarchy of a WebDAV namespace. The example in Section
7.1.3
... shows a PROPFIND being used in a manner to retrieve the members of a
... collection, and their properties.  This information can be used by a
client
... to create a directory listing.

... It is true that there is no method which returns only just the member
... collections of a collection, you must retrieve the names of
non-collection
... and collection members of a collection together.  However, since
PROPFIND
... gives you the ability to specify a minimal request for only just the
names
... and the resourcetype property, the extra overhead of receiving the
... non-collection members along with the collection members can be reduced.
... Furthermore, the work of the DASL (DAV Searching and Locating) group
... should allow for searches which retrieve only the collection members.

[SKREDDY]

In my opinion, I still recommend having GETCOL method. PROPFIND providing
extended services gives wider range of options to  webdav clients to discover
more about collections or any resource. GETCOL provides more power
collection operation
to get a hierachical view of the collection(s).  If WEBDAV client wants to
get a resource
property and its members, PROPFIND gives an excellent options to restrict
the scope of
an operation. But if client(need not be a browse-, assume an information
navigator, which provides
a read only view of the document repository) doesnot want to discover about
its properties and just need to
explore what is there in the server name space, I would recommend GETCOL
provide this functionality
rather than PROPFIND. Also, adding GETCOL separates collection(s) explore
operation
from collection property explore mechanism.

   Appreciate your comments.

best regards,

Surendra

Forwarded message 1