Re: Redmond: Changes to Collections Protocol

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:13:48 -0700
To: Judith Slein <slein@wrc.xerox.com>
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
>their original values. The protocol specification will state that MKREF
>MUST have Content-Length = 0, and the server MUST ignore any content sent
>with the request.

Be careful in stating this requirement.  Either the MKREF method is not
allowed to have a message-body (in which case Content-Length and
Transfer-Encoding MUST NOT be given) or you want to preserve that as
a future option (in which case the requirement should be that any
message-body MAY be ignored).  There should be no restriction on the value
of Content-Length.

This is something I fixed in the v11-rev-03 definition of OPTIONS,
since specifying a specific value for Content-Length is both inadequate
and overly specific for saying use of the message-body is not defined.

....Roy