Re: The 7 Deadly Sins of Versioning

From: Kenji Takahashi <kt@nttlabs.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:08:42 -0700
To: Fabio Vitali <fabio@CS.UniBO.IT>
CC: Marcus Jager <mjager@microsoft.com>, WEBDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> Versions differ from language alternates at least for one major issue: they
> are machine-processable. And usually machine-generated. This means that
> with versions it is possible to provide more sophisticated services than
> simply prompting the user: "I have 23 alternatives of this resources. Here
> is the list. Which one do you want?" Thus I believe that providing a way
> for these services to interact across implementations is extremely
> important and well within the scope of the WEBDAV charter.

Another difference is that versions are related to each other (usually)
in semi-ordered manner (or tree structure).  I'm not sure what "language
alternatives" but it sounds like to be able to represent only
between one resource and its variants.

Kenji Takahashi, Ph.D.
NTT Multimedia Communications Laboratories
250 Cambridge Avenue, Suite 205, Palo Alto, CA 94306 USA
e-mail: kt@nttlabs.com  URL: http://www.nttlabs.com/~kt
Phone: 650 833 3604  Fax: 650 833 3633