From: Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com
[mailto:Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 1998 9:30 AM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Cc: Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: [Spam?] question on "charset"s

In IETF jargon, a "charset" encompases: (1) an abstract set of characters,
(2)
an association between numeric codes and abstract characters, and (3) a way
encode those numeric codes in byte sequences.  "Unicode" is about (1) and
(2),
and XML recognizes the need for (3) as well.  My question is this: does a
WebDAV server preserve (1), (2), and (3), or just (1) and (2)?  That is, if
write entity bodies or properties or other metadata in one particular
encoding,
are read operations required to return that content in the same encoding?