RE: registration of text/xml media type (was: WebDAV last call)

Chris, Members of the IESG,

In the WebDAV Working Group we had been assuming that someone from the W3C
or the XML community had registered the text/xml media type, and were
surprised to discover that text/xml had not yet been registered with IANA.
 Thank you for drawing our attention to this matter.

We have indeed taken this as an action item, and I have just submitted
Internet Draft <draft-whitehead-mime-xml-00> to the Internet-Drafts
directory, where it should appear in the next few days.  This draft is also
available from:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/xml/draft-whitehead-mime-xml-00.txt

This draft is titled, "The text/xml Media Type", and contains the
registration for text/xml. I have forwarded this draft along to the W3C XML
Special Interest Group so that it can be reviewed by the XML community.

My intent is to collect feedback from this community, and revise the
text/xml registration draft based on this feedback, submitting a new
revision on May 1. At this time I will also submit this draft to the IESG
for approval, so that the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol and the
text/xml registration can be considered at the same time. In this way,
consideration of the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol can take place
independent of the text/xml registration status.

- Jim Whitehead
Chair, IETF WEBDAV WG