Re: Significant changes to protocol draft

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 15:55:34 -0800
To: asad@netscape.com
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
>I apologies for not conveying my point  more clearly. What I was arguing
>earlier, was that just as in the world of Physics, there is no
>"preferred state" of rest or motion, as all motion is relative, in HTTP
>world, there are no "preferred semantics" to method names.

Hmmm, I'm not sure whether I should argue the point or call
for the analogy police.

A working group builds a body of shared knowledge around a set of
concepts and assigns names to those concepts.  After a year or so
of arguing about the preferred set of semantics to associate with
those names, the names do indeed become infused with semantics.
So, while HTTP doesn't care, the people who have to remember arguments
going back four years do care, and get mighty confused in the process.

In other words, I'd prefer the original names.

....Roy