Re: ACL Draft

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:21:25 PDT
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
> Basing ACL decisions on unauthenticated information of the kind this
> example implies is pretty worthless from a security standpoint, even if
> it is common practice.

If I want to restrict access to my file server so that only "Paul Leach"
can read it, well, I probably am willing to accept that I can't authenticate
that it's really you, and not just someone who learned your password.
All information is authenticated only to a degree. It's a policy
decision as to what information to trust in order to make access
decisions.

As for user perception of the complexity of booleans: we're talking
about the PROTOCOL here. Whether you let the user's see the booleans
directly or have some kind of check-box interactive display is an
interface issue.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter