RE: Collections

From: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:19:11 -0700
To: "'Judith Slein'" <slein@wrc.xerox.com>
Cc: ejw@ics.uci.edu, "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Think of it this way.

INDEX - A canned search
PROPFIND - A heavily limited search
SEARCH - A real search

The reason for having three methods which all do SEARCH like things is
that for certain applications it is more efficient to optimize for a
specific type of search. For example, a simple DAV server is not going
to implement SEARCH and PROPFIND is probably going to be fairly
inefficient. INDEX, however, is something they can implement right up
from their underlying storage. Force them to handle arbitrary requests
and you blow their efficiency advantage.

			Yaron