RE: New Requirements Draft

After wading through this email war I have come to the conclusion that the main bone of contention is whether support for handling variants amounts to "authoring" or "configuration".

So I think we should stop arguing about the exact definition of a variant and answer the following question.

Where does manipulation of server content and the way that it is served-up cease to be "authoring" and start to be "configuration"?

In my opinion translating a resource and placing that translated resource on the server, such that a consumer who prefers her content in that language is served that language variant, amount to authoring (or more generally - web site construction) and not server configuration. Special handling for this (and this gets back to my original point made weeks ago) in WebDAV would allow the authoring client to provide an easy-to-use interface for doing this which would work with all WebDAV compliant servers.

An example of server configuration would be the activity of enabling or disabling the content negotiation for the server as a whole.

Cheers
Dylan