Re: Internationalization Requirements

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 21:21:02 -0700
To: "Martin J. Duerst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
cc: Dylan Barrell <dbarrell@bb.opentext.com>, "w3c-dist-auth@w3.org" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong and show me where I can read about it,
>> but the server *doesn't* give you the variants list and certainly
>> doesn't map them to the language and this is exactly what I'm
>> complaining about.
>
>You may be right. I had a look at the HTTP 1.1 spec, and I only
>found 10.4.7  406 Not Acceptable. The behaviour described there
>is not very deterministic. Maybe Roy can help out?

That is why we have a WebDAV working group.  Both the 300 and 406
response bodies were left unspecified because the intention was that
they be specified by a group that actually had time to study the
problem in detail and come up with a [hopefully] better solution
than some off-the-cuff invention of mine.  It was one of the WebDAV
to-do items, last time I checked.

....Roy