Re: Requirements Open Issues from Orem

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:38:42 -0700
To: "Whelan, Dan" <dan@filenet.com>
cc: "w3c-dist-auth@w3.org" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
>I'd prefer to see the LOCK and UNLOCK methods take an ordered list of
>resources
>to LOCK or UNLOCK respectively.  (I'm not familiar enough with HTTP to know
>if
>the protocol makes passing a list of resources difficult -- WebDAV has
>already addressed
>multi-status responses for the COPY, MOVE and DELETE methods)

It is not possible to identify more than one resource in an HTTP request
because then the server wouldn't know which of those resources is
responsible for interpreting the request.  Doing so with COPY, MOVE and
DELETE is possible only if the operation is placed on a container
resource which is capable of handling the request.

In general, multi-resource locking is exactly equivalent to transactions
consisting of multiple pipelined individual requests.  If you want it,
you need to define transactions over HTTP first, which I think is better
done within a separate working group (like the TIP working group, or at
least I think it's called TIP).

....Roy