Re: New version of PEP specification available!

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 18:54:47 -0400
To: Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
At 03:32 PM 7/18/97 -0700, Terry Allen wrote:
>Ah, sorry, wrong list.  But it's a good question anyway; what is
>the advantage of PEP in the context of WEBDAV, and could you not
>acheive the same or better functionality using XML markup?

Oh - I thought that it was one of those philosophical questions that you
always fear late Friday afternoon :-)

Good question - short answer: part of it no and part of it yes.

The "yes" part is the metadata part (using the "PEP-Info"), which can be
expressed using XML or any other format for describing metadata without
affecting the "no" part.

The "no" part is the mechanism for introducing new features into a protocol
message explaining what they are and allowing the recipient to potentially
interpret the message correctly with no prior agreement. That is, you can
extend HTTP dynamically in a decentralized mechanism.

Thanks,

Henrik

World Wide Web Consortium
http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk