Re: RE: Proposal for LOCK & UNLOCK

From: Steve Carter <SRCarter@novell.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:01:57 -0700
To: yarong@microsoft.com, gjw@wnetc.com
Cc: jg@pa.dec.com, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Somehow I missed the original post suggesting GRABSERVER/UNGRABSERVER.
The conotation (to me anyway) is that we are locking the ENTIRE WebDAV server.
If this is true then I'm very much opposed to it. The granularization is much to coarse.

-src

>>> "Gregory J. Woodhouse" <gjw@wnetc.com> 03/21/97 02:24PM >>>
Actually LOCK/UNLOCK is performed against a resource whereas
GRABSERVER/UNGRABSERVER is not. Perhaps they couylf be treated as a
special case using * (as with OPTIONS), but I generally like the idea of
sticking with LOCK for a couple of reasons:

1. While PUTs will be rare, GETs will be very common.
2. WEBDAV sessions will likely be long lived (cvomparitively).
3. There would be no bound on the numder of resources that would be tied
up just so that one could be updated.

---
gjw@wnetc.com    /    http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
If you're going to reinvent the wheel, at least try to come
up with a better one.