Re: Comments on current version of the WEBDAV spec

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 23:21:45 PST
To: Andre van der Hoek <andre@bigtime.cs.colorado.edu>
CC: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Andre van der Hoek wrote:

> I believe that is due to the road taken in this approach.  Larry pointed this
> out in an earlier message: the road taken was one where everything is
> discoverable and everything is interoperable, that is an undauntly difficult
> task. The alternative taken now is to limit the spec to a small number of
> policies, which I believe is a mistake and underestimate of the difficulties
> that arise. In my earlier message I pointed out a situation that for example
> needs to be addressed (non-locking + locking policy interoperating). I think
> that the same problems as before will show up, slightly smaller scale, but
> certainly as hairy. Therefore I am advocating the different approach, also
> laid out by Larry: provide a generic infrastructure to build policies on top
> of. The current spec is actually pretty close to providing such an
> infrastructure, and I believe that eventually in the end this will be the road
> that will be taken and the road that will be more succesfull. Summary: I
> believe that by scaling down the number of policies the spec does not become
> significantly easier, the same old hairy discovery and interoperability issues
> remain.
>
> Do others have any opinions about all of the above?

We asked the editing group to try to improve interoperability, even if
it
meant limiting flexibility. Limiting flexiblity isn't a goal. It's hard
have design arguments about motherhood and apple pie, though. We're just
floundering until we have a new proposal to look at, unless we want to
go
back to Ohta-san's internet draft.

Larry