RE: Last call: range locking

From: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 20:29:19 -0800
To: "'Jim Whitehead'" <ejw@ics.uci.edu>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Pro Range Locking - Steve Carter, Yaron Y. Goland, and Gregory J.
Anti Range Locking - Larry Masinter, Mark Day, and Fabio Vitali

Last I check 3/3 isn't a consensus and it certainly isn't a consensus in
favor of being rid of range locks.

Given that our goal is to provide for a distributed authoring and
versioning system that will be implemented (I mean it isn't like this is
our Phd. or something ;) and given that range locks are such a
fundamental feature that every major operating system, document creation
system, and database system provides them in one form or another, it
would seem that range locks are absolutely in scope.