Re: Email access to DAV functionality

From: Dave Hollander <dmh@hpsgml.fc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:09:08 -0700
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Hello,

I have been lurking on the list for several weeks now and found this
issue forces me out into the light.

I find that option 3 is preferable to the other options.  While email
is not my priority, a model for disconnected operation is.  As the
architect for the corporate web group, I am finding that portable
computers, even though they represent only about 20% of our desktops,
are a defining design criterion in nearly all of my efforts.

While resolving the apparent charter conflict between email being in-scope
while disconnected is out of scope, you can model disconnected operation
and how email transport can be used to change status/state without a full
connection.

With the extended model, I have hopes of inter-operable solutions that
can be used. Without it, I might as well extend the gateways used for
the disconnected/part-time connected population to achieve
inter-operation, or wait for the next DAV working group.

Best Regards,
Dave Hollander

Dave Hollander                    Hewlett-Packard
Intranet Architect                3404 E. Harmony Road, MS. 6U68
WebCOE                            Fort Collins, Colorado  80525
dmh@corp.hp.com                   970-229-3192