Re: range locking not used in GroupWise

From: <Mark_Day/CAM/Lotus@lotus.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:32:34 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Steve Carter wrote:
"My focus is on back-end issues especially where it deals with legacy
systems exposing their functionality via WebDAV. I agree with what you
pointed out
when it pertains to Internet documents, however, the argument does not
hold water when exposing a non-web based document repository where
data structures other than file systems are used to organize documents
and provide access."

I guess that I don't understand why byte range locks are singled out for
special treatment among all the flavors of legacy system behaviors that one
might choose to support in WebDAV. Why not hardware pages? Unix inodes?
nodes in a B-tree index? All of these seem to me to have the same character
as byte ranges: they have no necessary connection to the semantic structure
of a document or document collection, and they are used by various legacy
repositories and databases to implement forms of locking.

--Mark Day

Mark_Day@lotus.com