Re: range locking not used in GroupWise

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 05:23:59 PST
To: Steve Carter <SRCarter@novell.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Steve Carter wrote:
> No, I don't feel that expediency is the issue. Clustering (granularization) is a common
> method of handing shared things. In many operating systems the easiest way
> to do this is to use byte range locking. It is a quick way of creating a shared
> semaphore.

The web is an unusual operating system, though. (The Internet is an
unusual computer.)
In Webdav, we've been pursuing using links and site maps to do
clustering, and
it seems that so far we can handle these issues by having separate
with a relationship between them, and having the lock operation work on
separate URLs.

It might be that in one implementation
is a byte range of "http://server.dom/resource", but we don't need to
on that, only the relationship between them.

Clearly we have to address the container/contained relationships, that
locking a chapter has some effect on the lock state of the entire book.
If we can handle the relationship at the larger granularity, we probably
should use the same mechanism for dealing with locks even with a finer