Re: Range locking

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:38:39 PST
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
CC: "'Jim Whitehead'" <ejw@ics.uci.edu>, "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Yaron Goland wrote:

> It a'int necessarily so. Much like a LOCK is a way of breaking ties
> among users w/equivalent access rights, so range locks help to break
> ties for people trying to edit the same section of a document.
>         Yaron

I'd like to understand this comment, because I don't.

Document in MS Word, chapter 2 is bytes 30-50 and bytes 80-90.

User A wants to edit chapter 2
User B wants to edit chapter 1
User C wants to edit chapter 2

A locks bytes 30-50, bytes 80-90
B locks bytes 10-20
B edits chapter 1, adds 20 bytes. Can B check this in?
Create a new version? Increases the size of the existing
version?

How does this work?

Larry