Re: Range locking

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:21:30 PST
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
We managed to get range retrieval into HTTP by justifying
it for operations that weren't tied to proprietary formats,
even though the initial motivation for HTTP range retrieval
was Adobe's desire to do range access to (yet to be documented)
extensions to PDF.

We'll probably need the same to justify range locking: a
compelling non-proprietary case for why a standard client
might want to range-lock anything.

The argument for most web revisable content (HTML, GIF,
PNG, even PDF) isn't compelling, and the proprietary
capabilities can be handled by private extensions.