Re: Open Issues -- Attributes

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:16:03 PST
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
CC: "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, Thomas Reardon <thomasre@microsoft.com>, Alex Hopmann <alexhop@microsoft.com>
Yaron Goland wrote:

>  .......   I believe that the Web Collections spec is our best
> hope for a unified frame work for meta data. It has been completely
> re-written. It is still not clear who the final authors will be but
> SoftQuad, the W3C, IBM, Apple, and Microsoft are all working feverishly
> away on the draft.
>         Yaron

Despite the creditionals of the organizations who employ the authors
of "Web Collections", and the fact that SoftQuad, the W3C, IBM, Apple,
and Microsoft are all reputable organizations, the quality of the
previous "Web Collections" spec doesn't fill me with cheerful
anticipation that the next version is our best hope for a
"uniform frame work for meta data"[sic].

Of course, we can judge this when we ourselves can see the
"completely re-written" specification. (If you completely
rewrite a spec, is it the same spec?)

But most of the problems with the previous spec were not in the
writing of it but in the actual protocol element it described.

Regards,

Larry