Re: app/foo and app/fooresult

From: Gregory J. Woodhouse <gjw@wnetc.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 17:16:00 -0800 (PST)
To: marc@ckm.ucsf.edu
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
It seems to me that the approach most consistent with the HTTP architecture
is

1. Define a new method (using PEP perhaps?)
2. Use a standard media type in thed request header, such as
multipart/form-data.
3. Encode any parameters (including the request type) in request body.

I have to agree that kludging the media type by adding a new webdav type is
a major departure from the HTTP architecture, an we shouldn't go down this
road.

Another idea I've been considering (and maybe this is why I suggested
multipart/form-data) is to use Content-Disposition to specify what server
object (I can't think of a better term) should handle the request. Possible
objects would include lock and version managers.

---
gjw@wnetc.com    /    http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
If you're going to reinvent the wheel, at least try to come
to come up with a better one.