Re: Meta Data Redux

Ron Daniel, Jr. (
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:52:51 -0700

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:52:51 -0700
To: Yaron Goland <>,
From: "Ron Daniel, Jr." <>
Subject: RE: Meta Data Redux

At 02:30 PM 3/19/97 -0800, Yaron Goland wrote:
>>>1) Neither headers or separate resources meet all the requirements on
>>>   metadata in WEB-DAV, so we will need a combined solution.
>>Do you agree or disagree with that statement?
>I disagree. I believe that my proposal, which handles what Jim Whitehead
>has called "small chunk" meta-data, will completely meet the DAV group's
>needs. While I do believe that there is a strong need for a richer
>meta-data system I also believe that this group can produce a useful,
>fully interoperable standard, with nothing more than LINK/UNLINK and the
>META* methods.

Um, I'm confused. Just what are you planning to LINK to if not
separate resources? Using LINK suggests to me that you do agree with
my statement. If attribute/value headers can do everything, you don't
need LINK.

Ron Daniel Jr.              voice:+1 505 665 0597
Advanced Computing Lab        fax:+1 505 665 4939
MS B287
Los Alamos National Lab
Los Alamos, NM, USA, 87545