RE: locks and trust (Re: Rejected Requirements)

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:39:18 -0700
To: Dylan Barrell <dbarrell@opentext.ch>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Cc: Mark_Day/CAM/Lotus@lotus.com
>I would like to see the shared-lock be an optional portion of the WebDAV
>standard. I think the minimum requirement for locking is exclusive locking
>and this should be the minimum that WebDAV requires.

What is expressed in the latest locking draft is that *all* locking
capability should be optional.   Since some replicated storage systems
cannot enforce the semantics of a lock, and since people are interested in
building WebDAV servers on top of these replicated stores, we can't have
mandatory lock capability without excluding this very important type of
back-end.  As I recall, Mark Day was a major proponent of not having lock
functionality mandatory, so perhaps he could expand on this.

- Jim