RE: E-mail access

From: Ron Daniel, Jr. <rdaniel@lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 09:15:05 -0600
To: Dylan Barrell <dbarrell@opentext.ch>, "w3c-dist-auth@w3.org" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
At 10:02 AM 5/27/97 +-200, Dylan Barrell wrote:
>I don't see any reason to support both forms of access (Why have two ways of
>doing something when there is no advantage of the second method over the
first)

The advantage of allowing an email form of access is for people trying to
work in disconnected situations. If I can check out a bunch of documents
to my laptop and work on them at 30k feet, this is nice. It would be
even nicer if I could queue up the edited documents for check-in by
way of my mailer when I next connect. So, there are times when an email
version of DAV would have advantages.

Having said that, I think those situations are in the minority. Further,
nobody has yet said that they are going to implement DAV in email. So,
I think the WG's approach of trying not to preclude DAV in email, but
not working on that particular problem right now, is just about right.

Ron Daniel Jr.              voice:+1 505 665 0597
Advanced Computing Lab        fax:+1 505 665 4939
MS B287                     email:rdaniel@lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab      http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rdaniel
Los Alamos, NM, USA, 87545