Re: RFC 2141 on URN Syntax

Hi,
  I wanted to mention some things about the rfc 2141 that I found confusing.
I feel that the details should be verified.

The syntax for a URN is specified as
<URN> ::= "urn:" <NID> ":" <NSS>
and NSS also has ":" as a characters recognized within the <others> rule.
Based on this
    URN:foo::      -> Is this a valid URN ??

I feel that is ":" is used as a reserved terminator of a subsection of a
rule then it should not be used in the recognized character sets for the
other sub-sections of the rule. So I would imagine that ":" is not present
as a recognizable character within the <other> rule of NSS subsection.

It just adds an extra amount of parsing effort for the applications to have
this feature in their parsing mechanisms. I don't say that it is impossible
to have it, but as a application developer, it  would be a much messy
approach for me to write code that has this feature in it. I hope this not
taken as a negative criticism.

I have a similar concern regarding the usage of "%" character within the
<NSS> subsection. This is what the rule resolution says
<NSS> ::= 1*<URN chars>
<reserved> ::= '%" | "/" | "?" | "#"

Here we observe that

  <NSS> ::= %    could be a valid rule according to the  rule definition. At
the same time the system has another defination that says wheneever "%" is
used two  <hex> characters should be used.

  <NSS> ::=%%12  -> could also be a valid syntax for NSS.

My suggestion here is to remove "%" from the <reserved> subsection of <NSS>
rules.

Please let me know if my thinking is along the lines of what the group has
in mind or am I way out of wack. I appreciate your acceptance of my
participation in the group.

Thank You
Sukanta Ganguly

>>> Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu> 05/06/97 12:07PM >>>

Of potential interest to participants of this WG.

- Jim