RE: Web Browser WEBDAV support

From: Gregory J. Woodhouse <gjw@wnetc.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
To: Fisher Mark <FisherM@exch1.indy.tce.com>
cc: "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
On Fri, 2 May 1997, Fisher Mark wrote:

> >I quite agree that updating web browsers in large organizations is not a
> >small thing, but remember that only content developers would require
> >browsers which support the new methods. The vast majority of corporate
> >users would not require new or specialized browsers.
>
> Depends on the user...  In our Corporate Technical Memory, one explicit
> goal was that everyone should be an author.  "Everyone's an expert at
> something!"

You're right. I was tacitly assuming people followed an approach similar
to ours. I suspect that the all or nothing approach to access control in
many current environments ha been a big factor in restrivcting write
access to the server. (Note that I'm talking as much of a
policy/administrative limitation as a technical one). I suspect that a
standardized method of access control would make the situation you
describe (everyone an author) feasible (and probably desirable, but fo
course, that isn't a technical issue).

---
Gregory Woodhouse
gjw@wnetc.com    /    http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
If you're going to reinvent the wheel, at least try to come
up with a better one.