RE: WEBDAV Security

From: Fisher Mark <FisherM@exch1.indy.tce.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 12:48:17 -0500
To: "'-=jack=-'" <jack@twaxx.twaxx.com>, "'Jon Radoff'" <jradoff@novalink.com>
Cc: "'Ron Daniel, Jr.'" <rdaniel@lanl.gov>, "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Jon, you wrote:

>If interoperability is the goal, then the focus should be specifying
>an _interface_ rather than yet another ACL methodology.
>
>If this sort of direction seems to be of interest, I've written some
>experimental API's that implement such a concept which could serve as
>as a starting point.  I had previously planned to probe for interest
>in discussing this as its own subject but if the momentum is here,
>I am happy to go with it :)

This fits well with my mental model, as we have several security systems
in place (NT, Unix, Oracle, ...), while meanwhile we are evaluating
multiple access methods and "single login" methods.  So an interface
sounds like the right direction to me.  Once that is worked out, maybe
our W3C members could see fit to putting a simple reference
implementation into Jigsaw (the W3C experimental Web server).
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                 Indianapolis, IN
"ViaCrypt?  Vhy not!"