Re: WEBDAV Security

From: -=jack=- <jack@twaxx.twaxx.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
cc: "Henry Sanders (Exchange)" <henrysa@exchange.microsoft.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
> I think the WEBDAV group is best qualified to determine the
> nature of the minimum requirements for access control necessary
> to build functional but interoperable authoring systems,
> and that furthermore we'll do ourselves a favor by surveying
> the minimum requirements of existing authoring systems.
------------

Also the Andrew file system (if I remember correctly) also has
a good ACL implementation.

> It may be that all the 'access control' we can ask for is
> for the WEBDAV server to give the user a web page that allows
> them to change the default access authorization for a page
> they just stored, for example.
That's horribly insufficient, IMHO.  Again look at the ACL's
from the Andrew FS, that's more like it, I think.  At least
user and group access rights, similar to read write permissions
and the ability to specify basic logical op's too.

-=j=-