Re: WEBDAV Security

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:30:22 PDT
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
CC: "'Steve Carter'" <SRCarter@novell.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org, slein@wrc.xerox.com
Yaron,

In my experience, most document management and version management
systems provide their own access control list mechanisms, because
those that are available in the rest of the underlying infrastructure
are inadequate for the purpose of distributed authoring and
versioning. They may rely on the underlying host mechanisms
for authentication (although frequently not, e.g., database systems
often have their own authentication mechanisms.)

I don't think we're too far into disagreement, I just think
that we won't be done until we are able to make the appropriate
link between DAV and the ACL mechanism(s) that DAV supports.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter