non-HTML resources in webdav spec

From: Kenji Takahashi <kt@nttlabs.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 21:19:24 -0800
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
cc: kt@nttlabs.com
Yaron (or anyone),

I think I am coufused but...
Do we need two PUTs to create a new non-HTML resource:
one for attributes headers of the resource and the other for
the content of the resource?

Or the WEBDAV draft excludes non-HTML resources (although it
does not explcitly say so)?

To handle non-HTML resources properly, I think it would be
better to transmit meta-information (including attributes)
as HTTP headers.  Because you can create a resource with one
PUT.  The draft says in 2.2.1, "attributes headers may grow to
very large sizes and may contain octet data", but
I don't understand why we shoudn't send very large headers or
if octet data are really needed?  Also sending HTTP headers in
the body of the entities is obviously misuse by definition.
I think clearly defined methods, such as a method for set attribute
values, are better thatn the misuse of (or confusing usage of)
existing methods...  Also the draft proposes significant
additions to URI.  I think URI should be opaque as discussed in
the early time in this maling list (remember the "URL;ver="
discussion?).

Actually the draft confuses me - I don't quite understand whether it
describes about HTTP headers or HTML head parts.

Best regards,

Kenji