Re: Attributes in Prelim DAV Spec

In message <c=US%a=_%p=msft%l=RED-44-MSG-961111190130Z-30364@INET-02-IMC.micros
oft.com>, Yaron Goland writes:
>Nothing. It's a question of aesthetics.

Using <> characters will be expensive in deployment.
If we all we get is nicer looking URLs, then I think it's
not worth it.

But I think there is somthing to it: if we adopt Charlie's
suggestion, then what about existing URLs with ; in them.
That is, suppose I've got a document I've been publishing
as:
	http://foo.org/docs;id=27

for years, and now I want to add attribute functionality
to my service. What's the address of the 'author' address
of the doc above? Is it:

	http://foo.org/docs;id=27;attribute=author

I suppose that could work, but it make the server's job pretty hard:
the server might have to try lots of different ways of splitting the
URL between the attribute part and the base resouce part.

Worse yet: what if somebody is already using the name:

	http://foo.org/docs;attribute=XYZ

for something else? Is that a problem?

Dan