Re: Opinion on Notify Request Header

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:42:19 PST
To: yarong@microsoft.com
CC: fielding@liege.ics.uci.edu, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
# Sending those headers involves overhead, a lot of overhead on slower
# links. We should have a means of indicating if we want a particular
# response stream. I know, I know, its not a proper use of a header. I
# agree and am open to suggestions. Where is the balance to be struck?

Since there's a way that servers can send these kinds of responses
when they see fit, and the servers are just as qualified as the
clients to know when it's a good idea and when it's a waste of
bandwidth, why don't we just put in the response notification and
leave the request-for-response-notification behind.

Larry