Re: A Few Random Questions about the Spec

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:51:03 PST
To: yarong@microsoft.com
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
> As for proliferation of MIME types. Pick your poison. We can proliferate
> mime types or we can create one mime type text/attribute and put all of
> our attributes into it.

It's better to pick a mime type for transmission of attributes and put
all of the attributes in it. For some thoughts on what that format
should be, here are some references (do a search on "Uniform Resource
Characteristic*" in your favorite Internet search tool).

Ron Daniel's history http://www.acl.lanl.gov/URC/

Note that there were plans to (re)charter a URC working gorup in IETF,
but they never got off the ground. See
http://www.acl.lanl.gov/URC/charter8 .

http://www.ferberts.com/uridocs.htm has a lot of useful
pointers

Specification of Uniform Resource Characteristics
http://www.acl.lanl.gov/URI/urc_draft.txt

Uniform Resource Agents (URAs)
RFC 2016
ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2016.txt