Re: Opinion on Notify Request Header

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:14:52 PST
To: ejw@ics.uci.edu
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Now that I've read the draft, I have to confess that I don't
understand what you intended to do with the Notify Request Header.

Is this a way of the client asking "please send me 100 Continue
messages as you're progressing?" Or did you intend for some other kind
of progress report to be sent back?

I see no value in a 'please notify me' request header. Clients will
ignore 100 Continue messages if they aren't going to process them
specially. And any client that is WILLING to process 100 Continue
messages would always be asking for them.

In general, I suggest that you avoid adding any features whose value
you're not sure of, unless it solves a well known and widespread
problem.

Larry