RE: Prelim. DAV spec.

At 11:32 PM 10/30/96 -0800, Yaron Goland wrote:

>Of "entity" and "representation": pick one and stick with it.
>
>But in this case, I think you meant resource, i.e. the gizmo associated
>with a URL.
>
>[Yaron]
>No we mean representation(s), meaning one or more than one representations
>of a resource. Where representation is defined as in HTTP 1.1.
>
>representation
>  An entity included with a response that is subject to content
>  negotiation, as described in section 12. There may exist multiple
>  representations associated with a particular response status.
>
>The key here is that we are not just talking about an entity, we are
>talking about a content negotiated entity. I have removed all references to
>entity and replaced them with representation.
>[\Yaron]

I am very unhappy with this notion. Look at it another way: as I mentioned
in an earlier mail and Dan pointed out again, a representation/entity is a
dead bag of bytes - a resource has life. Please refer to my ealier mail for
details on the definition as pr HTTP:

	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/msg00285.html

If you say that distributed authoring is about editing entities and not
resources, the model breaks down when we step plain old outside file
systems. Stuff like editing a server side include or a data base entry
doesn't make sense any longer!

Henrik
World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-356